Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Creative Process

 

I often get questions regarding my creative process, specifically whether I plan out the shoot concepts and details ahead of time, or show up and improvise.

I really try to do a bit of both.  Especially if I’m working with a new model, the shoot may be more improvisational in nature, because I’m really using that first shoot to see what we are capable of together, and try to push the envelope with the next shoots.  I may do a first shoot in a location that will allow a bit more freedom of movement, to see what might happen if I really push a model to move and run around and not think so much about “posing.”  I’ll probably have at least some idea of any props or styling involved, makeup, etc. 

If it’s a commercial job, a specific shot I want to add to my portfolio, or if I’ve got some experience with how a model moves and what she is capable of, I’ll plan a bit more meticulously.  But I still like to leave some things open to improvisation, and try to recognize when something is happening that is a bit outside the box, but that I should take advantage of the opportunity.

I think a key element of being able to make consistently solid images with models from many different backgrounds is flexibility, and the ability to utilize a particular models strengths, and ignore their weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment