Monday, October 18, 2010

My unapologetic love of dead woodland forest creatures.

 

I love meat.  Beef.  Pork.  Chicken.  Fish. Don’t get me wrong I love veggies too, and I’ve even been known to consume some tofu every now and then.  But my true love is game meat.  Venison.  Elk.  Pheasant.  Duck. 

I’m a hunter.  I fish too, but I enjoy hunting more.  I love the personal connection to the food I put on the table, and I love that hunting is one more big middle finger raised to the establishment of factory farming and the industrial food complex.

Some look at hunting as barbaric, and ask how I can look at a beautiful creature, center it’s body in the crosshairs of my riflescope, and send a bullet into it’s body, killing it.  Well, as a consumer, everything I consume had to die in order to become food whether it be plant or animal.  That deer, elk, boar, duck or pheasant had a truly free and fulfilling life until the moment it became food, for which I am truly thankful.  That ribeye steak or pack of hamburger wrapped in plastic in the store was once a living breathing cow.  It spent it’s last days cramped together with thousands of other cows in a feedlot being forcefed corn, not part of it’s natural diet, before it was forced through a chute, bludgeoned to death, and tossed in a pile to be processed without a second thought.

I feel a bit more respect for the food I eat whether it come from an animal or from my garden because I had a hand in procuring it.

As I sit here tonight eating grilled chili-rubbed venison backstrap, I feel very much alive and inspired.

1 comment: